10-Oct-2026
So here we are, Chella and I. Trying to figure out how we feel about one another.
So we decide to spend some time together, exploring temples. Today we target Wat Pho. As we head out, I finally remember to take a picture of the sand sacks warding off the entrance of the building I'm staying in. Here's hoping we won't actually need these in the days to come.To get to the Wat Pho, we have to take the Metro. However, since the next station is quite some distance away, and since I haven't figured out how the buses work yet, we decide to take a Bolt there. Bolt is pretty much the Über of Thailand.
It's reasonably cheap, costing only 119฿ for a 15 minute trip. A very reasonable price considering that the traffic conditions on the roads here warrant hazard pay.Anyway, here we are at the nearest Metro station: Phetchaburi (เพชรบุรี).
There's a security check inside with a metal detector. It beeps as I walk through since I have my wallet, keys etc., but the guard just waves me through anyway. Makes me wonder what they have this setup here for anyway.Either way, we are now in the Metro Mall, an underground shopping district of sorts in the in-between floor of the station.
There, we have some lunch at a Vietnamese place (now where did I put my Asian culture food bingo card?), where I have some yummy shrimp balls with rice, as well as some tasty lemon grass juice.
Next, we need to get tickets for the Metro. This time, I dare to use the machines, and as a result end up standing in line between two Buddhist monks.So, how this works is: First you select a station you want to go to and pay. Then you get a coin-sized token, and when entering the station you press it against the sensor of the ticket gate, and it will let you in. Then when exiting your target station, you put the token in the slot of the ticket gate, and if you did everything right, it will let you out. Up until now, I've got a 3/3 pass ratio, so clearly this system is not too confusing.The metro station looks like the busier stations in Tokyo, with completely sealed-off tracks and doors that only open once the train has arrived.
As for the metro itself, well... I do hope you enjoy standing, because seats are hard to come by.
Much like in Japan, the metro has dynamic displays above the doors that display the next stop, on which side the doors will open, as well as the complete route between stations, with the stations that were already passed greyed out.And then, there's this... campaign thingy. I don't speak Thai, so I can only guess that this is some sort of campaign aimed at getting people to productively use their time in the metro by doing exercises (spoiler: it's not catching on).
Ten stops later, we arrive at the Sanam Chai (สถานีสนามไชย) station with its distinctive architecture. It looks almost like the interior of a palace.
Once we exit, we pass some distinctive buildings right away.
As well as some distinctive garbage bins. I can get the organic, paper and recycling ones, but what in the name of Dragon is the red one with the skull on it supposed to be? Poison? Hazmats?!?
Anyway, here we are at Wat Pho. The entrance fee is 300฿ per nose.
I dare say it's worth it though. This is 11 acres of pure Buddhist culture and architectonic marvel.Yet even among this colorful marvel, there's some things that stand out, like the crocodile pond...
...or the leaning tree that is propped up by dozens of bamboo pillars.
And then there's the hall of the reclining Buddha, which illustrates the idea that Buddha statues come in three sizes: Normal-sized, statue-sized, and mega-freaking HUGE!!!
There's also a row of donation boxes at the back of the reclining Buddha, and the idea is that you put a coin in each of them. And in case you don't have enough coins, there's a stall where you can exchange bills for coins.
Anyway, after that, we're done here, and start heading back to the station. On the way I notice some artfully painted utility boxes along the road. Very fitting.
On the way back, the metro is a lot less crowded, which means that I can show you that the cars don't actually have any seats for the most part.And then something amazing happens: Chella actually encourages me to walk back all the way from the station. And I'm happy to oblige. It's about 2.5km through the heat, all in all. But at least it's a straight walk along a proper sidewalk for once.
Along the way, we come across a few more shrines...
...precariously low-hanging wires...
...as well as the window cleaners of death.
Chella wants to cook tonight, so we procure some ingredients from the Tops, and then bring them home via the Path of the Tiger. We got rice, chicken, garlic, onions, and... wait a minute... is that soy sauce actually Maggi?!?
Yup, that's actually Maggi. Oh well... Chella still manages to cook up some some tasty Chicken Adobo for the two of us. That's a "Filipino" stamp on my Asian Food Bingo Card.
And that's it for today. Anything else that happens tonight is quite frankly not your business. As for tomorrow, the plan is to make a day trip to the place where Chella lives. I'm looking forward to it, even though I'm also a bit anxious. Anyway, you can look forward to my next post. Until then, stay tuned and be of great cheer. =^,^=


No comments:
Post a Comment